HOLIDAY SURVIVAL TIPS:
Here's some guidelines for a healthier holiday:
1) Bake on a wire rack to allow the excess fat to drain
2) Replace sugar-based candy with fruits such as apples, apricots, nectarines, and raisins.
3) Portion, Portion, Portion...Don't have a total blowout fest and feel stuffed for the next week. Use a smaller plate and keep everything in a reasonable portion size. This way you can have everything you want but in a much smaller quantity.
4) Exercise. 10 days of over-indulging, bowl games, and DVD-athons can have serious effects on your waistline. Keep up an active routine to burn some calories off during the holidays.
5) Be Active - Go shopping, walk the malls, rake the yard, or build a snowman. Whatever your activity of choice, being active over the Christmas season is going to not only help how the clothes fit come January 1, but also is much better for the heart.
Enjoy this low-fat version of the classic holiday drink:
LOW FAT EGGNOG
4 cups of Skim Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Teaspoons of Agave Nectar(adjust according to taste)
A dash of Nutmeg
1/4 cup of Brandy(optional)
1) Separate the egg whites & yolk
2) Combine the egg yolks and milk in a saucepan and cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
3) Stir in the vanilla, agave nectar, & nutmeg
4) Cover and chill.
Calories: 85 calories
Protein: 8 g
Carbs: 17 g
Have A Merry Christmas!